what better time to begin this blog than on a friday night. a night that many see as the kick-off to the weekend, a time to "go out" "party" or "get wAsTeD!"
and even though i've taken part in that ritual on occasion, most friday nights i look forward to coming home, camping on the couch, and commemorating the start of my weekend with some WNTW. i realize this puts me into the "lazy" "anti-social" and "boring" category, but i'm quite cozy in here. always have been, in fact.
i realize that many people take great pride in pointing out how little tv they watch - "oh, i'm far too busy and important to take time out of my hectic schedule to watch tv"
or that they only watch certain things on tv -
"oh, my tv is buried by piles of books written by authors you've never heard of, and i only turn it on to watch educational pbs programs"
or those precious few who don't even own a tv -
"oh, what is this thing you call a commercial? i don't own a television set"
but as you've probably guessed by now, i am not one of those people. i can't recall a time in my life when i was not completely enamored with my tv set. i grew up on cable, and i have many a fond childhood memory basking in its glow.
my favorite would have to be my weekday ritual after morning kindergarten. my dad would make me a classic lunch of grilled cheese (cut diagonally, of course) served on a paper plate with chocolate milk (with an extra scoop of chocolate powder, for good measure), served in my mom's owl coffee mug.
i'd sit at the kitchen table (so as not to get grilled cheese crumbs or spilt milk in the living room), turn my chair just so, and watch an episode of andy griffith (always whistling along to the theme with my dad). by the time chuck woolery's love connection started, i'd be settled in to our big brown chair, laughing at my dad, who would be laughing at all the lewd and mischevious innuendos that were going right over my little head. what more could a six year old could ask for?
i've tried blogging about my every day life in the distant past, but i always find it difficult to keep those updated, because really, i don't do all that much stuff. and how can i complain about people if the people i'm complaining about might very well read it? i am much too minnesota nice for that sort of thing.
what i do do (heheh) is watch a lot of tv. i'm hoping this will make it easier to post more often, and also give me an excuse to watch even more tv.
not that i need an excuse.
Friday, February 15
"i like to watch"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Do do! Ah ha ha!
I am sort of sad when I make plans to leave the house on Fridays and I miss WNTW.
I am proud of you for being proud of yourself! Speak it, girlfriend!
Ha!
When we briefly had the Gameshow Network, I loved watching Love Connection all over again!
I was at my own home after a long day of inoculations and plantings watching WNTW. I love when we watch together...separately.
As your mother I'm not sure I should be proud of your television obsession.. time will tell if it has a positive influence on your life.
I am proud of YOU however; you're one of the best listeners I know, you have that unusual sense of humor that makes me cackle, and the way you can express yourself in the written word is extraordinary.
Thanks for creating a website I do have access to!
Love, Mom
I love you and your tv watching. You have made my proud to come out and say that I love watching tv, too. And I hate people who brag about not watching tv. Hate them. Remember when we would watch tv together everyday after school? To be fair, we only did that after we played a card game at your kitchen table. But then we watched lots of tv.
Post a Comment